Sunday, March 21, 2010

25 days and counting in the Big City

Why, hello there, stranger!

Today marks the 25th consecutive day I've lived in Japan. It's also a national holiday, although I'm not sure what the "symbology" is (just saw Boondock Saints II for free at www.alluc.org).

My plan over the long weekend was to visit all remaining territories of Tokyo in which I might enjoy more permanent housing, but the plan was cut short by one day due to lack of funding (yes, I am almost out of money, and no, I haven't been paid yet! But I'm sure my bank card is in the mail, and that everything will work it's way out soon... Yes, I'm almost certain...)

Anyway, I'm keeping myself entertained today by practicing guitar, studying the origins of time via the pages of Sean Carroll's excellent book "From Eternity to Here," and updating my blog with new pictures for you to enjoy! So without further ado:

At Taito corporation (now a subsidiary of Square-Enix) during a company visit. I played the original arcade version of "Space Invaders!" (didn't set the high-score though...)




My co-worker Suzuki san next to that Taito mini-bus






A funny ad for tempura. Nothing but the best for me, my friends, a-ha-ha-ha! (Note to self: this may be why I'm broke)





Two pictures in Azabu-Juban (one-person apartments here range from $1200-$2500 a month). This is a nice shot showing of the different architecture styles...




...and here is a neat little outdoor artisan market (where the stairs lead) in the midst of the shopping area.





Two pictures in Omote-Sando. The analogy is as follows:

Boston <-> Newbury Street
New York <-> 5th Avenue
Tokyo <-> Omote-Sando!



A little coffee shop stall (Apartments here are even more expensive than in Azabu-Juban ;_;)







Two pictures of Shimo-Kitazawa. This place is really cool and hip, and the apartments are $800-$1500, but not necessarily guaranteed to be modern or quiet.



And for the finale... (drum-roll please!) The buttons for a toilet in a lounge in Shimo-Kitazawa, where two panels are conveniently placed for access: one on the right-hand "arm" of the toilet, and one on the wall at shoulder height when sitting. Note: I did not experiment with these buttons as I am still learning how to read, so I can't tell you exactly what they do! The seat was in "heated" mode by default though =)

8 comments:

  1. I like that coffee bus. It reminds me of those vans with coffee, sandwiches, drinks etc that drive around in Cambridge to areas where there is construction going on and all the construction workers come out to take a break. But your bus is so much more elegant with chairs to sit on etc. Does the bus stay there permanently or does it move around?
    Cyrus

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got your skilled real tempura right here, buddy! Someone should probably tell that restaurant owner that whoever it was he hired to do his Japanese-English translations has ripped him off. I'm sure the poor translation has no effect on the taste of that tempura, at least I hope not anyway. I love all the different neighborhoods your touring us around. How far apart are all these neighborhoods? Is it like here where you could be in Brighton or you could be in Allston and you're never really sure where one ends and the other begins, or is it more distinct and spaced out then that? It would be really cool to go out there and experience it for myself. Except for the fact that if I went to use the bathroom and saw all those lights and buttons I would probably choose to shit my pants instead. I would just be too scared that I'd end up hitting the "Eject" button mid-turd and end up showing the East what a dumb American tourist I am when I land in the middle of the mall food court with my pants around my ankles. Leave it to the Japanese to take a crude and Neanderthal-like activity such as defecation and put a modern spin on it. Always pushing the envelope, changing the way we conduct business, one toilet at a time.

    Thank you, Japan.

    Love,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the cherry trees in bloom yet? Over here we've spotted a few magnolias (including yours)starting to show their lovely petals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man, why are there so many buttons for a toilet? hahaha I can't wait to see your pictures of the cherry blossoms... everything looks great!

    Space Invaders ftw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe it's already been 25 days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott how have I not met you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wrote a long comment but managed to delete it before saving... grrr! How annoying.
    What i said was that life here in the U S of A seems quite boring with not too many new things going on, unlike with you!
    But today IS the Fenway Opening night, with the Sox already behind the Yankees (0-2) in the second inning... Keep your fingers crossed for a turnaround and our win. Are the folks you meet interested in American Baseball - and their ML players here? Is the Japanese baseball season on right now? Are the rules exactly the same as ours? What about the fans?
    Post some Sakura tree photos soon before as promised! Would love to see how they compare to our cherry blossoms! Right now the weather here is lovely - and about time after that horrid rain and wind last week.
    OK - will stay tuned:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The people want updates, Arun! <3 Hope you're well!

    ReplyDelete