Friday, March 5, 2010

First Full Week

Well, the first week went something like this: work/sleep/work/sleep/work/sleep.... you get the idea! This is my building on the left, a 5min walk from the South exit of Shinjuku station. It seems that most people work an average of ~60 hours a week, so I'm doing my best to keep up with them. Actually, work is really amazing and fun, I'm at the headquarters of one of the premier video game production companies in the world, so I got to see all types of cool stuff from a live mo-cap studio to behind-the-scenes animation work that will soon go into real video games played by people around the world! (and there was some secret stuff that I could tell you, but then I'd have to send a ninja to kill you! We have a whole floor dedicated to ninja training...)

Here is my cool business card in Japanese! I think is says: 'Warning, foreigner; do not trust!" (j/k)




Here is a list of some cool things about Japan I didn't know, like:

  • Toilet seats are heated and spray water at you from below (!)
  • Elevator buttons can be toggled on/off if you accidentally hit the wrong floor
  • Tipping is not expected (!)
  • Your train pass can buy candy and drinks from most vending machines
  • Sliding doors can open by hovering your finger over a little circle without touching it
  • Escalators turn on/off if no one's riding on them
  • ...and plenty of other things I'm starting to forget 'cause they seem normal now.

  • The night after the "fish incident" (see last post) I tried cooking a vegetarian dish, fried eggplant with ginger and sprouts. I surprised myself with how well it came out; here are a series of pictures so you can follow along at home too:
    1) Food prep...

    2) Frying the baby eggplants...

    3) Comparing to recipe picture...

    4) Close up. Tah-daa!

    Okay, I think I've posted too many pics, but I'll end with just one more, this is the view from my current apartment on the 3rd floor of Kagurazaka district in Shinjuku-ku. See you all soon! (and make some posts, darn it!)

    7 comments:

    1. can you really buy things with your train pass? yesterday, my t pass wouldn't let me into the orange line. useless.

      miss you!
      xxoams

      ReplyDelete
    2. What are the grocery stores like? Or are you buying your food in open markets, exclusively from sweet little old ladies who sell you weird-looking fish?

      I tried to buy "funfetti" cake mix today-- went to three stores before giving up and getting plain old white cake. I had to pay almost $10! So Abuja isn't that far behind Tokyo in terms of the cost of living. We just don't get cool things like elevator toggles or multi-functional subway cards (or even a subway for that matter!)

      Love you!!
      Mimi

      ReplyDelete
    3. It's a mix between grocery stores, eating out and outdoor stalls -- I'll take pictures next time I get food somewhere if I can get away with it -- tonight I found out fortune tellers line the streets near big subway stations after 1030pm lol! I should get my fortune read (in English, plz!)

      p.s. miss you to Oami!

      ReplyDelete
    4. "...and plenty of other things I'm starting to forget 'cause they seem normal now."

      NO! You owe it to your readers to recall and relay all such things.

      How did the 'corporate training go'?

      And post more often.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Glad to hear that youve landed and are asimilating to your new country well. I hope that I get to come experience it for myself before you move on bigger and better things. I suppose in the meantime this blog will provide a little insight into what your day to day life is like. I'm very much looking forward to reading every little adventure. Mad props on the dinner you whipped up, looks just like the one in the book.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Hehehe thanks Scott, you know all the good food you've cooked up is the inspiration behind my culinary experiments!

      @ Seth: One thing I remembered that's cool is if you're putting any kind of cash in bills into a machine, you don't have to put them in one at a time (e.g. you can put a stack of 2-5 or more bills in at once and the machines know; they know, dude!)

      ReplyDelete
    7. Arun! I want to come visit and have you cook something strange for me, from your strange apartment, in that strange city.

      ReplyDelete